My Photo
Name:
Location: England, United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

England, A Land of Contrasts.

Sunday evening, the pub was a melting pot! In one corner, we had the Christians, fresh from church, playing darts and eating cheesy chips & beans (my fave!) Walking down the bar, there were a few Germans watching the footie on the TV, and then in front of the big screen was a group of Spaniards. Playing pool, we had a group of Russians (the males, of which, do not use any sort of deodorant, at all) and a man with 2 girls, who I could only assume were prostitutes. The jury's still out on the man though--we weren't sure if he was their pimp or their john. But they were all very nice and it was a calm, yet interesting night.

I think London, and England in general is the most diverse place I have ever been to in my life. So many different faces, races and creeds, I hear foreign tongues most places I go. It's unfortunate that there are some English "Bulldogs" who are part of this England for the English campaign, because having so many different people in one area is refreshing. One time, we had a footie game on from the Albanian channel. One of the regulars, a chavvy older guy, said "Turn that foreign sound off, and turn the jukebox back on! This is an English pub and England for the English! We speak English here!" He proceeded to put some incredibly rubbish techno-pop on. English, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home