My Photo
Name:
Location: England, United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Bumming Around.

Ok, fine fine, I'm going to write something after like, a year. Only because I am incredibly depressed and bored right now and I've watched all the Daily Show episodes on the Comedy Central website. And my mom told me to. I am sitting in my boyfriend's rented room in a house in London eating Campbell's Potato and Leek soup directly out of the pot. This is the Jenni way of eating soup--less to wash up!

I had a job interview today for a volunteer position providing support for people with learning disabilities. It sounded pretty sweet. I'd offer low level support for a group of 9 people living in different flats, and I'd get my own free flat so I could live near them. I've worked with people with learning disabilities in Japan before and I loved it. Fave school, way better than my regular school.

So anyways, yeah, I was pretty psyched when they called me up for the first round interview and even staged a mock interview yesterday with Mike's housemate Mark who does this sort of thing on a regular basis. I managed to pull some pretty good shit out o' my ass, and went to bed feeling pretty confident about my skillz. Wake up early in the morn to a rainy day, but it's not so bad. A new awesome song pops up on my Pandora--sweet! Perfect to walk to the tube station to. I get there with 30 min to spare and show up with a smile. I'm led into a room with three interviewers: two network managers and one network member, a gentleman with a learning disability. I'm sure he'll like me! So the interview starts and they're just reading questions off this packet that each of them have. It's a bit difficult to hear, and I'm wondering if it's b/c of their English accent or my tinnitus. I think the first guy says that I should include examples from my past work in my questions. So what do I do? Completely disregard this, and just answer all their hypothetical questions to the best of my ability, not supporting any statement at all with past accomplishments. I thought I was doing quite well though. Voice not shaking, body language positive, but not aggressive, keeping "uhhh"s to a minimum, thoughtful answers. I look over the the gentleman with the learning disability's paper--it looks like there's some sort of scale made up of five stars...and it looks like he's circling the first one on his left...Oh Snap! Doesn't that mean like 1 out of 5? The worst out of the best? WTF am I doing wrong? I'm not speaking fast--I'm Californian, ex-stoner.

The interview ends quickly, like 10 minutes maybe. No one asked me what I've accomplished, what my strong points are, what motivates me, if I was stuck on a deserted island, what 3 things would I take and why? They ask me if I have any questions and I ask 2: What's the status of the members in the local community and how long has it been around? Then I draw a blank b/c of my shock at how short the interview was and did I say something wrong? and say, "No further questions, your honor." They said they'd call if I make it to the second round. They might call today, they might call tomorrow, they won't call if I don't make it. Assholes. I fucking hate that. They haven't called today and it's 5:40pm. Maybe tomorrow? I'm kicking myself, but I'm also confused.

Oh well, I'm out of soup. Time to go to Stich n Bitch in Angel.

Lates.

1 Comments:

Blogger shan said...

i wasn't even granted an interview by google. those pompous corporate assholes. why am i trying to be a corporate rat anyway...

the interviewers probably thought your beauty was too distracting. fuck the bastards. guess it wasn't meant to be, right?

quit being a stranger biyatch!!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home