My Photo
Name:
Location: England, United Kingdom

Friday, July 29, 2005

FIRE!! heheh...heheh...FIREFIRE!!!

Last weekend the band was invited to perform in Nabari at Jeff's teacher's house. It was our totally final last show. We had a great time and a great show. Our opening act was these 2 kids who played violin. They were so adorable I wanted to eat them. The little girl was pretty good, as was her little brother--he was squeakin' all over the place. It was great.
After our show we got dressed up in costume and headed down to the festivities at the Nabari Hanabi (fireworks) festival. We were asked to participate in the fire wielding procession. I had no idea what this entailed. I imagined it was something Olympic-ish where I'd be running around town in my hapi (traditional summer jacket) and tabi (those socks with the split between the big toe and second toe) carrying a torch. Thank God I was wrong. I was going to be WALKING around town in my hapi and tabi carrying a torch--(more like a bundle of sticks on the end of a bamboo pole). My hapi had been used in previous hanabi festivals and there were burn holes. BURN HOLES!!! And they told us they had bought insurance for us just in case anything happened. Let me tell you, I was AFEARED for my life!!! They poured propane (Hank!) on our torches and then we stuck them in the fire. Us and like, 30 other old Japanese drunk men. I was one of 3 girls participating. The old dude behind me was carrying his torch angled forward, so that when embers fell, they were falling on me. I got out of there quick and made Mike trade spaces with me. Walking around was pretty fun though. The festival was packed and people were totally afraid of the fire, screaming because of falling embers. The procession included walking over a bridge and then crossing a river. A RIVER. WITH A STICK ON FIRE. They had tied straw rope around our tabi to make sure we didn't slip, but that didn't help. I've never felt so primitive--knee deep, holding fire and fearing for my life as others crossing the river with fire also tried not to slip. I made it across OK, thanks to Ben, Chelsea's man.
At the end, we threw our torches in the bonfire at the temple and enjoyed chilled sake while watching fireworks. Ahh, Japan. Only you could provide an ending so fit for insanity.

reading: Stitch N' Bitch by Debbie Stoller
listening: Evil by Interpol
knitting: my new obsession

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home